Thursday, July 23, 2009

Girl, 12, dies after battling cancer for 6 years (22-Jul-09)


"extracted from The New Paper, by Ho Lian-Yi"

I was dozing off standing in the MRT when I happened to glance this headline news on my "neighbour"'s NEW PAPER. A typical cancer story? Or one day will it become my story? Or worse, your story? Entering my 2nd month career as an Independent Financial Adviser, the way I see things are different already. I will imagine, WHAT IF the parents had bought her sufficient and proper insurance coverage? Perhaps a large portion of the hospital and surgical bill would have been well taken care by the upgraded Medishield. Or perhaps they would have a lump sum of money from the payout to pay for the chemotherapy treatment?

Some things, it's better to get yourself prepared, and expect the unexpected to happen. Simple example, will you tell your boss in advance that tmr you will fall sick & take MC?

Read on.
**************************************************************
IN THE battle to save Marjorie Soh's life, her parents spared no expense.

The girl, whose pet name is Dear Dear, was just six when she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a malignant bone cancer.

Over the next six years, Mr Max Alan Soh, 43, and his wife, Madam Pat Lee, 40, racked up an estimated $400,000 in medical bills - and took hefty bank loans to pay it.

But Mr Soh said the weight of his debts is nothing compared to her bravery.

Despite six major operations, countless minor ones and chemotherapy, Marjorie soldiered on with little complaint.

He said: 'The doctors said she was a fighter. After so long, she was still fighting. She was a brave girl.'

He took months of no-pay leave and gave up his job as a car salesman last month. His wife, also gave up her job as a sales executive to look after their child.

But they could not avert the inevitable. Little Marjorie died, aged 12, at home at 5.30am on Saturday , after being in a coma for three days.

Said Mr Soh in Mandarin: 'Even if I owe banks money, even if debt collectors called us every day to chase for money, it was worth it - it was definitely worth it.'

To get by, he borrowed from his friends - $5,000 here, $8,000 there, even $10,000.

His mum, in her 70s, sold her four-room flat in Yishun and moved in with her younger brother, to lend him $150,000 of the $200,000 proceeds.

'I told her, after I settle my daughter's situation, I'll buy a house back for you,' he said.

Some friends criticised him for going too far, though others commended his sacrifice.

'The heavens will take care of me - I'll find a better job and pay off my debt,' he said.

****************************************************************************
Nobody drives a car down a road and wish to get himself into an accident. Nobody wishes himself to kana a critical illness and end up in a hospital bed. Nobody wishes anything to happen to himself or their loved ones. But every day, such cases are commonly happening. So who is the 'Nobody'?

If you wish to provide protection for yourself and your family in a realistic way, do give me a ring. 9876-0237.

No comments:

Post a Comment